Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have questions about Straban Township policies? Below we have provided answers to some frequently asked questions. If you cannot find the answer to your question below please feel free to contact Straban Township online or by phone by calling (717) 334-4833.

Q. Where do I go to vote in Straban Township?
A.  ALL Straban Township residents will go to the Adams County Emergency Services Center, 230 Greenamayer Lane, Gettysburg, PA 17325. Polls are open from 7am to 8pm

Q. Can you help me understand better the different local taxes in Pennsylvania?
A. York Adams Tax Bureau(YATB) has provided a tax guideline for our use.
Click here for the guidance document.

Q. What years will my On-lot Septic District Pumping cycle be?
A. You are required by Township Code to have your septic tank pumped every three years. Each Pumping District is on a different 3 year cycle, i.e. District #1 (2024, 2027, 2030), District #2 (2025, 2028, 2031), District #3 (2023, 2026, 2029)

Q. What On-lot Septic District is my property in?
A. Please go to the Forms, Fees and Maps page on this website and open the Sewage Management District Map to find out which District you are in.

Q. How much does a Subdivision/Land Development or Zoning Ordinance cost?
A. Zoning Ordinance = $40; SALDO = $20; and Stormwater Management = $15

Q. What is the submission deadline for plans?
A. 30 days prior to the Planning Commission meeting.

Q. How much does a land use permit cost?
A. Go to “Forms, Fees and Maps” and click on the Fee Schedule.

Q. Who do I contact to report a dead deer on the road?
A. Call the South Central Regional  PA Game Commission at (814) 643-9635.

Q. Do I need a permit to install a fence around my property?
A. Residential Use   The township does require a Land Use Permit for a fence.  The fence is required to be three (3) feet or less in the front yard and six (6) feet or less on all side and rear yards. All in-ground pools must have a three (3) to six (6) foot high fence surrounding them. It is important to note that a fence should not obscure any view causing unsafe traffic conditions.   Non Residential Use   Please contact the Township Office for more information.

Q. Do I need a permit for a yard or garage sale?
A. No permit is required for a residential yard or garage sale. We would ask that consideration be given to the safety of the people parked along the road when choosing the location of the yard sale.  Also, please contact the township office concerning signage.  There are restrictions concerning where signs can be put to advertise your yard sale. A permit is required for a commercial yard or garage sale.

Q. What do I need to do to get on the agenda of a Board of Supervisors meeting?
A. All requests to be on the agenda of a Board of Supervisors meeting must arrive at the Township Office 10 days prior to the meeting date. There is a form that needs to be filled out. This form can be obtained at the Township Office or under “Forms, Fees and Maps” on this website.

Q. What is the process for paying Earned Income Taxes (EIT)?
A. Straban Township Board of Supervisors has appointed the York Adams Tax Bureau (YATB) as the collector for the Straban Township Earned Income Tax and Local Services Tax. This means that employers will be filing all of the earned income tax and local services tax withheld from employees with YATB.
For more info please contact YATB at (717) 334-4000 or (717) 854-8084.

Q. When do I need permits from the township?
A. Permits are required for, but not limited to the following: Residential and Commercial Construction, Signs, Sewage, Wells, Swimming Pool Construction, Garages, Storage Sheds, Covered Porches, Decks, Outbuildings, Driveways, Peddlers.

If you are contemplating any new project and are unsure of the requirements or whether a permit is required, please contact the Township Office. We urge everyone to comply with these regulations for the welfare of the community.

Q. Where can I find information on the township ordinances?
A. All township ordinances are available for review or purchase at the Township Office (1745 Granite Station Road) during normal business hours. Monday through Thursday from 9 am to 4 pm. The ordinances are also available in the General Code Book.

Q. What is the status of police coverage in Straban Township?
A. The township’s police services are supplied by the Pennsylvania State Police. A township survey indicated that residents were satisfied with State Police services. We are fortunate to have the State Police barracks located within our township. This coverage comes at no additional cost to residents.

Q. Where can I recycle household items?
A. The Adams County Recycling and Waste Management Information – Spring 2023.  RecyclingBrochure